NTEU Fights for Retirees
NTEU fights every day to protect your hard-earned retirement by testifying before Congress, closely monitoring legislation and speaking out on proposals that threaten your pension and your secure retirement. NTEU is:
• Aggressively pressing OPM to eliminate its backlog of retirement claims and speed up
processing of accurate and full pension payments;
• Making sure that cost-of-living adjustments that are critical to keeping your pension
strong are not tampered with;
• Opposing efforts to use the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program as a replacement
for Medicare, which would result in higher health care costs for all; and
• Promoting legislation to address rising prescription drug costs and extend premium
conversion to federal retirees to make out-of-pocket health costs more affordable.
Our determination on Capitol Hill has paid off for retirees. NTEU won the right for those
covered under the Federal Employees Retirement System to count unused sick leave toward their retirement pension calculation. The union also corrected an anomaly in the law which penalized federal employees under the Civil Service Retirement System who work part-time at the end of their careers by not calculating their pension correctly.
That’s not all. NTEU led the fight to permit federal employees and retirees to keep dependents on their Federal Employees Health Benefits Program until age 26.
Inside the Issues
Read these stories from the members-only NTEU Bulletin for retirement advice, information and news:
• Technology to the Rescue
• Retirement Planning—Steps Toward a Smooth Send Off
• Phased Retirement: Is This An Option For You?
• Retirement Processing Slows
• How Much Could You Lose? Chained CPI Proposal
• A To-Do List for Recent Federal Retirees (Continued)
• Your Future: A To-Do List for Recent Federal Retirees
• COLA Set For Retirees
• Are You Considering Retirement? Already Retired?
• OPM's Phased Retirement Q&A
• Federal Employees Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) information
Leave Credit Under CSRS and FERS
Insurance and Retirement